St. Paul Lutheran Church


130 Years

St. Paul Lutheran Church was founded on February 28, 1875, by the Rev F.W.M. Arendt. Services were held in public school house until the property on Canal and Hayes Roads was purchased. In 1879 a small church was erected.

On April 27, 1890 work began on the next church, which was dedicated on October 5, 1890. The first church was then converted into a school.

June 14, 1901 the church was struck by lightning and destroyed by fire. Within two months ground breaking took place for a new building which was finished in December of 1901.

On August 26, 1992, the church was torn down as Hayes Road was being widened.  A new Sanctuary was planned for the area south of the school. Ground breaking took place on September 6, 1997. Dedication took place on September 20, 1998.

In 1958 property south of the church was purchased with plans to build a new school building.  Ground breaking for this project took place on April 5, 1959 and the new school was dedicated on August 30, 1959.  In 1963, 1974, and 1987 additions were added to the school.  The school program today consists of 3 & 4 year old pre-school classes,  and K thru 8th grade elementary school.